[RC] feed question - Crickett MacMillan

so, the time has come where i seriously have to consider taking my horses off hay, and putting them on alfalfa cubes instead. hay is like 450 a ton here for timothy, and i can't get coastal less i want to pay like 8-9 dollars for 40 pound bales, which honestly, makes it more than timothy. right now my horses get ten pounds a day of timothy, and that runs me bout 90 at the price ive been getting it.
here's the question. i have them on a 14% protiene feed, i know cubes has about 16% percent protiene, which is higher than timothy, will i need to change them over to a lower protiene feed? these are trail horses, so theyre not worked hard. also, how many pounds per day should the average 1000 pound horse be getting in cubes?
ugh, sooooo much math !!
thanks !!