RE: [SPAM] RE: [RC] Blood test levels - Lori Bertolucci

Thank you, Heidi.
It is interesting what other "symptoms" there are, aside from the muscle cramping and tying up.
I am trying to find a cheaper lab for my vet to send blood work to. I checked earlier with them today, and even they found that $110.00 just for a sel. level test was a bit much. lol  They are willing to send out to any other lab if I can locate one.
Again, I still am not seeing signs of a deficiency, but do know that as our training level increases that also increases the risk, so need to have the tests run. Plus, the hay we had delivered this past year isn't up to par with the prior years, so I expect to have to supplement more than I have had to in the past, and not just sel.
Probably the only reason I haven't noticed to much right now is I had been laid up last summer, and with that, my horse has become a couch potato. That has ended, and training levels are intensifying, so hope to stay ahead of problems.
Thanks for your help!

lori

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Susan, I have had my gelding's selenium levels checked in the past, and was told they were okay...can't tell you what the levels were. But now I wonder, should I get another test run to check them? I haven't had any problems, but do know of ranchers in our area having low selenium levels affecting their newborn calves, and I have heard of some foals having the problem...
> If a horse is having problems, what symptoms do you usually see? Not that I thnk my horse is having problems, just curious.

Lori, I'd agree with what Susan G said, but I'd add that some of the things we see in horses that are deficient are wood-chewing, less-than-spiffy hair coats, not as thrifty with feed, etc. A horse may be doing "ok" and not have any "illness" issues, but he may still be shy of optimal wellness.

I would also point out that selenium is important as an antioxidant and as a co-enzyme in processes that affect how cell membranes work. This is really important not just with regard to performance, but also with regard to immune function--optimal selenium levels will help the horse's white blood cells to phagocytize bacteria (some good studies on this in cattle), which has implications not only in disease resistance but also in things like uterine clearance in mares. I suspect that it is a similar mechanism that makes horses more feed-efficient--enhancement of the cell membrane function of the GI tract so that nutrients are better absorbed.

Heidi