RE: [SPAM] RE: [RC] Blood test levels - heidi

Susan, I have had my gelding's selenium levels checked in the past, and was
told they were okay...can't tell you what the levels were. But now I wonder,
should I get another test run to check them? I haven't had any problems, but
do know of ranchers in our area having low selenium levels affecting their
newborn calves, and I have heard of some foals having the problem...
  If a horse is having problems, what symptoms do you usually see? Not that I
thnk my horse is having problems, just curious.

Lori, I'd agree with what Susan G said, but I'd add that some of the things we
see in horses that are deficient are wood-chewing, less-than-spiffy hair coats,
not as thrifty with feed, etc.  A horse may be doing "ok" and not have any
"illness" issues, but he may still be shy of optimal wellness.

I would also point out that selenium is important as an antioxidant and as a
co-enzyme in processes that affect how cell membranes work.  This is really
important not just with regard to performance, but also with regard to immune
function--optimal selenium levels will help the horse's white blood cells to
phagocytize bacteria (some good studies on this in cattle), which has
implications not only in disease resistance but also in things like uterine
clearance in mares.  I suspect that it is a similar mechanism that makes horses
more feed-efficient--enhancement of the cell membrane function of the GI tract
so that nutrients are better absorbed.

Heidi