RE: [RC] Blood test levels - oops - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

Title: “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster

Oops, sorry.  I hit ‘Reply to All’ instead of Reply to Truman.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2008 3:22 PM
To: 'Truman Prevatt'
Cc: 'Lori Bertolucci'; 'ridecamp'
Subject: RE: [RC] Blood test levels

I remember that, that’s a classic scenario for a lot of horses.  They’re pretty much okay without it, but what a nice difference with higher levels.  There have been lots of similar results from other parts of the country as well since those original discussions way back when.  One horse in the Central region went from a lot of LD and 50 non-completions to being a good 100 mile horse in less than a year or so.

Speaking of conditions in the SE, I taught that lecture in thermoregulation to my equine exercise physiology class last night, including your examples of riding in hot, humid conditions in the SE where the textbooks would all recommend cancelling the event.  Pretty funny, there are a couple of trainers in the class that thought horses would be dropping dead right and left if they so much as left their pen at indexes over 130 or so.  I included your comments from the ’96 ROC of ‘humidity, what humidity’, it was a nice segue into talking about acclimatization from one region to another.  I’m going to bug Otis and Ken at some point and pick their brains a little more, thanks for their contact addys.

sug