From: Lori Bertolucci [mailto:loribertolucci@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2008 12:13 PM
To: suendavid@xxxxxxx; ridecamp
Subject: RE: [RC] Blood test levels

Susan, I have had my gelding's selenium levels checked in the past, and was told they were okay...can't tell you what the levels were. But now I wonder, should I get another test run to check them? I haven't had any problems, but do know of ranchers in our area having low selenium levels affecting their newborn calves, and I have heard of some foals having the problem...

If a horse is having problems, what symptoms do you usually see? Not that I thnk my horse is having problems, just curious.

Thanks.

Lori

"Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM" <suendavid@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I agree with Heidi's comments and my experience has been that even horses
that seem 'normal' do better performance-wise on a higher plane of selenium
than the current published recommendations. Any ride vet working in the PNW
(and most in the W and PS) will tell you the same, and I suspect it's also
true for other regions notoriously low in forage selenium---SE, Great Lakes,
etc. I would also respectfully disagree with the recommendations made to
decrease the current selenium intake level---I'd increase it, too, per
Heidi's recommendation. There are potentials for toxicity, but you have to
get pretty wild with the stuff for a long time to get to that level. The
organic selenium yeast sources (and by 'organic' I mean bound to a
protein/carbon-based unit, not organic in the no-pesticides-used sense)
apparently have very little potential for toxicity over the inorganic sodium
selenite sources, so I prefer the selenium yeast form. Last I checked,
Platinum Performance has a good source that is included in the general
wellness supplement (though too low IMO) or, more cost effectively, by
itself as just straight selenium yeast where a pretty tiny amount will add a
good additional level of selenium. A four-lb tub of the stuff will last a
loooooong time.

I like Heidi's recommendations of 8-10 mg a day for performance horses---my
endurance mare that's working pretty hard gets 15 mg a day, and my competing
dressage gelding squeaks by with a mere 10 mg a day. Both get regular blood
work to verify their serum levels are in the 200-250 range.

JMO.
Susan Garlinghouse, DVM