RE: [RC] Blood test levels - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

I agree with Heidi's comments and my experience has been that even horses
that seem 'normal' do better performance-wise on a higher plane of selenium
than the current published recommendations.  Any ride vet working in the PNW
(and most in the W and PS) will tell you the same, and I suspect it's also
true for other regions notoriously low in forage selenium---SE, Great Lakes,
etc.  I would also respectfully disagree with the recommendations made to
decrease the current selenium intake level---I'd increase it, too, per
Heidi's recommendation.  There are potentials for toxicity, but you have to
get pretty wild with the stuff for a long time to get to that level.  The
organic selenium yeast sources (and by 'organic' I mean bound to a
protein/carbon-based unit, not organic in the no-pesticides-used sense)
apparently have very little potential for toxicity over the inorganic sodium
selenite sources, so I prefer the selenium yeast form.  Last I checked,
Platinum Performance has a good source that is included in the general
wellness supplement (though too low IMO) or, more cost effectively, by
itself as just straight selenium yeast where a pretty tiny amount will add a
good additional level of selenium.  A four-lb tub of the stuff will last a
loooooong time.

I like Heidi's recommendations of 8-10 mg a day for performance horses---my
endurance mare that's working pretty hard gets 15 mg a day, and my competing
dressage gelding squeaks by with a mere 10 mg a day.  Both get regular blood
work to verify their serum levels are in the 200-250 range.

JMO.
Susan Garlinghouse, DVM