RE: [RC] drugs allowed and withdrawal times - Kristen A Fisher

I realized recently that my hoof supplement has MSM in it so I emailed Melissa Ribley as head of the vet committee about it. This was her response:

The new AERC drug rule that is in place as of 12/1/07 prohibits MSM.  The drug rule does not differentiate between any doses, including "mega-doses".  I have attached the appendix listing prohibited substances and you will see MSM (methylsulfonylmethan) is listed as a prohibited substance.  Therefore the supplement should be withdrawn prior to competition.

Melissa Ribley, DVM

Chair, AERC Veterinary Committee

Yucca is also on the forbidden substance list as well. Here is the new rule including the list of forbidden substances.

http://www.aerc.org/DrugRule2008rev1107.pdf

I plan to switch to a supplement that does not have MSM so I won’t have to worry about withdrawal times.

Kristen