Re: [RC] early handling - recklessheartranch

Jen --

Here is a link to one study -- I believe the most recent:

http://www.thehorse.com/viewarticle.aspx?id=11259

If you GOOGLE "Studies on Imprinting Foals" you will find MANY results --
apparently there have been lots of studies done.

As one might expect, the results have varied, depending on how the study was
set up, how many horses, what the actual researchers did, etc.

From a quick browse of the studies, the best positive results from imprinting
simply resulted in the foals being better about allowing tactile interaction,
ie, being touched.

I never have done imprinting, (although I own and have read Miller's book and
video), simply because, as an older single person, I was not sure I could
adequately restrain a large newborn (some of my WB foals are well over 120 lbs.
at birth), and, as I noted below "it is the release that teaches." So if I
release at the wrong time (planned or not), the foal simply learns it CAN evade
authority.

Also I did not like the stress it seemed to cause some of the dams, and the
foals as well. It's tough enough to just be born, then to have all that junk
done to you when you have barely taken your first breath. Just IMHO, of course
<g>, but it actually seems rather cruel.

I believe I also read somewhere that even Miller has admitted in recent years
that the process/handling needs to be more than just once -- in fact is not
truly effective unless it is done several times as the foal develops. If that
is the case, then I'm not so sure it's that different than simply handling your
foal (properly -- we are not talking about "playing") on a daily basis.

Lastly, I've been doing it the "old fashion way" for many years and that seems
to work just fine. By no later than six months all my foals are being caught
out in a big field, leading, moving out of my space, loading in a trailer,
standing while they get their feet trimmed...you know, the "baby basics." So
I've had no real need to change.

Katrina.

Katrina,<BR>
<BR>
Would you please site the source for this study so that I can read the whole
thing and judge for myself?  "Also a study done afew years ago showed no big
difference in (mature)horses who were imprinted as foals and those who were
simply handled (correctly) alot as babies on a day to day basis...the old
fashion way."  <BR>
<BR>
Thank you,<BR>
Jen<BR>