[RC] early handling - Alice Yovich

Since I am going to have my first foal in a number of years (and possibly my last foal ever) I am contemplating all these issues for my foal.  I have had four foals in the past. My first was when I was pretty new to horses. I still have the copy of Robert Miller’s book about imprinting, and I did many of the exercises soon after he got here.  Mostly though I just was at the barn every day playing with him and I was able to take him trail riding just loose with his mother and he was in a herd from day 10 or so.  My next foal was dead upon arrival which was really awful, but I bred the mare back  and had a great foal. The only problem was that I was 4 months pregnant when he got there, so I wasn’t able to handle him like I wanted b/c he was the size of a full sized pony soon after birth.  My last foal was a TWH baby born to a very standoffish dam.  She was born in the pasture and from day one was not a trusting baby.  I worked her, kept her up in a round pen, handled her every chance I had, but each time it was like I had never done any work with her. There was no opportunity to imprint her at all as her mother wouldn’t let me touch her for close to 24 hours. After 2 years I sold her and the folks who bought her really like her, but I never did have the relationship with her I wanted.

Since my daughter is going to involved in the upbringing of the foal, I’m determined that she not play with the baby, but yet I want us to develop a great relationship and do early training that will make the later training easy.

Alice Yovich, MT-BC, LMT

NATRC Region 4, Texas

http://www.alicestrailridethroughlife.blogspot.com/