[RC] Feeding round bales - Karen Everhart

We have our own tractor with bale spears on front and on back, so we can move two at one time.  HOWEVER, for over a decade, we hauled 3 bales on a 16 foot flat bed trailer from our hay dealer, rolled them off, surrounded them with electric tape and rolled them to our preferred feeding spot one at a time.  So, do not be deterred by the lack of equipment.  It is funny to see the two of us trying to get the bale started on its roll to the feeding location.  And, if there is a low spot, it can be doubly hard.  But, it is doable and well worth the headache compared to feeding squares.

I have to state that I feel the feeding of round bales needs to be done in a round bale feeder, but it has to be one made for horses, not cows.  Those feeders do not have a place for horses to get their heads caught nor their manes rubbed off.  If you don't feed in a ring, way too much is wasted when the horses walk and poop and pee on it.  With a feeder, we get over 90 % consumed, with most of the waste being the bottom which has rested on the ground during storage.

I am a firm believer in free access hay or pasture, 24 x 7.   I think if you have 2 horses, you make three piles, for the ever-present "dance" of dinner that inevitably occurs.

Karen Everhart MEd
Co-founder and Executive Director
Rainbow Meadows Rescue and Retirement, Inc.
Serving the equine companions who have so loyally served us...
www.rainbowmeadowsranch.com
620-725-3402

Owner/Operator Horse Calls - Equine Management Solutions
Centered Riding Instructor
Distance Horse Conditioning and Training
www.horsecalls.com
316-648-5082