From: Quentin & Libby Llop <qhll@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC] Feeding round bales
To: "Amber Roberts" <Amber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, December 25, 2008, 6:37 PM

I've been making, feeding and selling round bales for 30 years. For horses I
only feed bales that were made of quality dry hay, stored inside. I don't
worry about them being out in the weather while they are being fed. Hay
doesn't spoil very fast in the winter and even two or three horses will
finish a bale before it goes musty. Problems from feeding RBs stored outside
won't show up for a few years, then you're horses will get heavey. Might
not be a problem in dryer  climates. We have 30" of rain a year. A round
bale feeder will pay for itself very quickly in hay not wasted, not to mention
clean up. I try to have no more than 6 horses to a bale We typically winter
between 30 and 50).  One of my bales weighs between 1200 and 1500# and feeds 6
1100# horses for a week. The larger bales are usually the best buy. The outer
layers are the most tightly packed. I leave my feeders in the same spot all
winter. I try to put down stone over fabric at the feeding spots. I think
you'll enjoy feeding once a week.
                                                                     Libby Llop

Amber Roberts wrote:
> We live in Texas and have always fed small square bales of Coastal
Bermuda.  We have the opportunity from one of our boarders to start feeding
round bales but we have no knowledge about how to do this.  The square bales
have always been stored inside our barn, but round bales would have to be
outside, in the weather.  Do they have to be stored up off the ground?  If so,
how?  To feed hay this way, do the round bales have to be inside feeders?  We
have 5 horses.  Do we need more than one feeder?  When a bale gets eaten down
enough to be replaced, do you have to move the feeder?  Do you have to clean up
left over hay on the ground?  We don't know if we'd be better off
sticking with square bales or trying round bales.  It would save us some work at
feeding but perhaps the cleanup would negate that advantage?  Any thoughts would
be appreciated.