Re: [RC] Dealing with the Over Supply - Michelle Aquilino

"This culture, "Save all Horses from death", is in part responsible for the increase in hay prices."

People (in general) seem to feel that it's always good to save lives, which causes real frustration for those of us who can actually think beyond the emotional side of the issue.  Don't get me wrong, I hate the thought of horses being killed or slaughtered, and dogs and cats being euthanized in enormous numbers.  But the solution in stopping this is not in stopping the killing, but stopping the over supply that we have been discussing.  I will admit that I hadn't thought of the huge racing industry (for one), which (as people have pointed out) is likely to be causing the majority of the problem here, and not necessarily "back yard" breeders (not that they can't make a difference themselves =).  On a similar standpoint, the effect of greyhound racing can be seen having an equivalent effect on the population (and killing) of greyhounds.  Anyway, I could go on and on, ha ha.  In general, I am agreeing.  I recently watched the 30 Days episode on Animal Rights, and I think that I feel the same as the hunter felt leaving the animal rights home at the end: I want to eat meat, but I can see and believe that the way they mistreat the animals isn't necessary.  This is how I feel about horse slaughter.  Looking at the problem the same as I have always viewed the pet overpopulation problem (and need to euthanize), it's necessary until we solve the over supply problem.  My problem with it was seeing how it's done right now.  If it were done in a more humane way, then I believe there would be significantly fewer people instantly going against the issue.  Anyway, it's complicated, lol.  Like I said, I could go on and on, because it's complicated, and there is so much to think about, and to process in your head.  It will probably be a long time before anything is "done" about the issue, but in the meantime... remember that every person can make a difference in at least one animal's life =)  If you care about the issue, adopt an animal in need, or make a donation to a worthy organization  =)

--
"Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die"