From: a.hoins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <a.hoins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC] big horses in endurance
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sunday, December 21, 2008, 12:12 AM

Hello everyone and Merry Christmas,

Actually had some time to enjoy RC and decided
to put this topic out to you all.

I have a coming seven year old grade quarter horse that I
have been toying with the idea of doing endurance with. My
concern is that he is a tank at 16 hands and 1200 lbs.

I know there are some big horses doing well in endurance,
just wondering what there humans do to insure their
well being in competition and if there is anything they do
different with a big horse in there conditioning program
as opposed to say a smaller/leaner
built one. He has a resting heart rate of 32
and is not legged up at all at this time. He is
a blast to ride down the trail,
forward but not spooky.

It would be a real encouragement to hear from others who
have big partners and would tell their stories.

My other horse is a 13.3 hand half arab mare. I
sometimes get vertigo going from to the other;o)

Best wishes to all,

Ann
Smoke and Penny
SW PA