From: Barbara McCrary [mailto:bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2008 9:04 AM
To: Kitley, Carrie E Civ USAF AFSPC 30 MDSS/SGSLF;
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] New Topic - Our Crazy Common Bond

I had not ridden an endurance ride for a couple of years when I decided
ride a new horse in a LD ride in August of 2007.  I chose the LD because
felt I had not conditioned this relatively new horse enough to do 50.
In
the end, he proved to me that HE could have done 50...it was I who would

have suffered.  I was out of condition!
I was nervous about starting the ride, as I always have been with
virtually
any horse I have ever ridden in endurance.  I did not know how this new
horse would act in a crowd, nor how he would behave in a mass start.  I
was
camped next to Nick Warhol, who is a fine and competitive rider.  But
that
day, he was riding an older horse on the LD, mostly for fun, I suspect.
He
mentored me and my new horse through the ride in the kindest way
imaginable.
Our start was not high-voltage as I had expected, but he stayed with me
the
whole way.  I really didn't hold him up any, as we motored along quite
briskly, but his companionship and mentoring was very special that day.
have let him know how much that meant to me.

Barbara