Re: [RC] Desperate Times for Horse Owners and for Horses - Kara Henry/carrie - Kitley, Carrie E Civ USAF AFSPC 30 MDSS/SGSLF

Kara - I'm so glad to finally see someone mentioning the more emotional
side of this whole issue.  i.e. taking care of your mare's final moments
at home, etc. . . .   in the majority of this thread about "carcasses,"
I haven't heard much mention of the softer side of this, which is how to
take care of the demise of the animal, not so much the cost.  Maybe the
emotional side of it goes without saying, but honestly, I don't know if
I could have a truck simply come and pick up my mare's "carcass" and
haul her off.  I think I would need to find some place nearby, a friends
property, maybe to have her put to rest.  I know I sound like sap, but
admittedly, I am one.  It's hard enough to lose a loved one and then to
hear all the "logical" posts about disposal, etc. was getting hard to
take.  So, thank you, Kara for showing a little "sap" of your own.  Lol
Carrie

$450 here, too -- Pacific Northwest -- just lost my old girl in Oct. It
was $200 for vet (farm call) and $250 for pickup by a place that does
large animal burial near me. If I'd hauled her to the vet, it only would
have been $125 for vet & $200 for burial. I have to admit, finances are
tight, and that was my original plan -- $125 buys alot of hay Then I
looked in my old girl's eyes, and realized I could not do that to a soul
who'd given me so much; hauling to a strange place, away from her
buddies, etc. She deserved a peaceful exit from this world, that meant
at home surrounded by her loved ones. Maybe with my gelding, who is very
used to traveling / going to the vet's office I may have made a
different decision, but in this case I needed to have it done at home no
matter the cost.

Kara