[RC] The emotional side of losing your horse - Karen Everhart

I will enthusiastically admit that I am emotionally connected to all horses, enough so that I refuse to allow a rendering truck to come and pick up any of the horses here, mine or those we have rescued.

We purposely purchased 240 acres (land is relatively cheap compared to many other areas) so that we could designate a location just for burial of the horses and other companion animals.  We also offer a service for horse owners, when the decision must be made to put down their equine friend due to old age or chronic illness/injury.

Because Kansas law prohibits anyone but the owner from transporting a dead animal, the horse must be capable of transport here.  So, the decision to use our service has to be made before an acute illness or critical injury. We then lead the animal to a lovely meadow, surrounded by evergreen trees, and a few hundred yards from a creek.  Then we have the vet come and perform the euthanasia and the horse is buried where it lies.  Memorial stones can be placed on the gravesite.

It is certainly more expensive than the rendering truck, or burial on your property, but we provide an option for anyone who is interested in wanting to provide such a place of rest.

Call this sappy if you wish......

Karen Everhart MEd
Co-founder and Executive Director
Rainbow Meadows Rescue and Retirement, Inc.
Serving the equine companions who have so loyally served us...
www.rainbowmeadowsranch.com
620-725-3402

Owner/Operator Horse Calls - Equine Management Solutions
Centered Riding Instructor
Distance Horse Conditioning and Training
www.horsecalls.com
316-648-5082