[RC] Desperate Times for Horse Owners and for Horses - sherman

Title: Message
Here's what I found out today about putting a horse down in S. Nevada County, CA.  Farm call $67, drug and admin. $109, Hauling fee $165, disposal fee at renderer $135 for a grand total of $476.

The other option is to have the vet put him down, $67 plus $109, then haul the carcass (I don't like calling a horse a carcass) to the waste disposal site (dumps) and pay $80 there, total $256.

Personally, I'd rather be able to let the coyotes and vultures take care of the body. Cover them lightly with a straw, out of site and out of smell range. 'Course then drugs shouldn't be used to euthanize.

Kathy