Re: [RC] Desperate Times for Horse Owners and for Horses - Sisu West Ranch

1-    For the most part, slaughtered horses are not used for dog food or glue;
3-    Horse meat is not used to sustain life for the impoverished or malnourished, but for the very wealthy, as it is a delicacy, or for carnivores at many zoos;

I fail to see the logic of your points 1 and 3.  Are you saying that it is moral to slaughter horses for dog food, but not to feed zoo animals?  Are you saying that it is immoral for a person to purchase what ever meat they consider to be a "delicacy"?

Of course, the impoverished in third world countries don't eat horse meat.  They also do not eat beef, chicken, pork, fish or any other animal protein source simply because they are impoverished and can't afford it.  The problem of starvation, as important as it is, is not a suitable Ridecamp topic.

As I have posted in the past, we must be very careful not to attempt to impose our personal food prejudices on others.  One of my kids is a vegan, hopefully he will not try to tell me that I can't eat beef.  There is a major religion, and a minor one, in the USA that considers the human consumption of pigs and lobster to be against God's law.   Are you advocating that they should have to right to tell me that I can't eat lobster,  and pork?

It is very true that ever since the invention of the tractor, truck and railroad uncaring persons have bred many excess horses.   I have never bred horses for sale, and Wendy has not bred a horse for sale in 20 years.  We intend to keep it that way.  For the first and last time in my life, I bred instead of buying a horse.  Miikka is a yearling.  He has a forever home, barring a tragedy in my life.  Wendy's gelding Raj, who died in our pasture last year, was bred by her 26 years ago.  Her Saami, is a coming 4 year old.  He also has a lifetime home.  We all must work to eliminate the breeding of excess horses.

I have taken a horse to slaughter.  This was in the 1970's before the movement to stop slaughter.  The slaughter house was LOCAL, I checked with them, and brought him in first thing in the morning.  He was weighted, run up a ramp, and slaughtered.  This was at least as humane as could be done by a vet.  I know because since then I have taken horses to vets when their time came.  The "horrors" of slaughter (transport, confinement etc.) are mostly caused by the anti horse slaughter movement.

-    One reason America's horses are sought after for slaughter by foreign owned slaughterhouses, rather than "houses" in the end-user countries, is because we DO NOT produce horses as a meat animal so we do not regulate the various medications and treatments

The logic of this point also escapes me.  "Subjecting" horses to medication sounds like a call to eliminate modern vet medicine.  By the way, food animals (pigs, cows, chickens, turkeys etc.) are also medically treated during their life.  There are withdrawal times (just like Endurance rides), but they are not  always heeded.  When I took my horse to the slaughter plant, I had to sign that he had not had a whole list of things for specified times.

You state that the horsemeat produced is "often toxic".   Would you please supply a reference, (a journal, USDA publication, foreign government publication, etc.) to substantiate this claim.  While some countries do not have good consumer protection, the European Union does.

I am subject to correction, but due to the poor feed conversion efficiency of the horse, I can't see them being raised only for slaughter.  Iceland may be an exception to this.  There may be other areas also, but surely not in Europe.

2-    For the slaughterhouse owners, the business is highly profitable, making literally millions and millions of dollars off the various products from the slaughtered American horse;

Last time I checked, our economic system was regulated capitalism.  That means that activities exist to produce profit, and that profit is moral.  Over the last 100 years, the American automobile industry has produced billions and billions of profit, but this profit has evaporated lately.  Even as I write this, our congress is trying to see if and how it can help the industry return to making "millions and millions" of dollars.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875