[RC] Desperate Times for Horse Owners and for Horses - Karen Everhart

As we all read with interest the various perspectives on this subject, I think it is important to remember just a few facts:

1-    For the most part, slaughtered horses are not used for dog food or glue;
2-    For the slaughterhouse owners, the business is highly profitable, making literally millions and millions of dollars off the various products from the slaughtered American horse;
3-    Horse meat is not used to sustain life for the impoverished or malnourished, but for the very wealthy, as it is a delicacy, or for carnivores at many zoos;
4-    One reason America's horses are sought after for slaughter by foreign owned slaughterhouses, rather than "houses" in the end-user countries, is because we DO NOT produce horses as a meat animal so we do not regulate the various medications and treatments (think Bute or Ivermectin, etc) that we subject our horses to.  So, our horse meat is cheap, though often toxic for human consumption;
5-    Throughout the history of horse "ownership" (if we can call it that), Man has turned horses loose when he no longer wanted them or could not feed them.  So the reports of said behaviors ARE NOT NEW.  Hence the domesticated blood in the "wild horses";
6-    Just a few decades ago there were over a MILLION wild horses.  Today, it is estimated that approximately 33,000 roam free with another 30,000 in holding facilities.  Where are the other 900,000 plus animals?  Many were/are adopted or slaughtered, others were killed for sport, still others died of dehydration or starvation because their water supplies and pastures are "sold" by the government for cattle production;
7-    In the early part of this decade, an American Horse Council survey estimated that there were 9.2 million domesticated horses in the U.S.  Today, it is estimated that there are over 10 million.  Where did they come from?  Better yet, where will they live?;
8-    Except for the truly "wild" horse, most horses are bred with human intervention i.e.  putting a stallion (or semen) together with a mare, or allowing a stallion to run with a band of mares, etc.  SO, it is safe to extrapolate that man is responsible for the explosion in the numbers of domesticated horses;

These facts, and so many more, place the burden of responsibility squarely on the backs of "horse people".  We made the mess.  We have a responsibility to clean it up without the horse paying the price for our foolishness.  I applaud Madeline Perkins for stepping up and trying to use her resources to make a difference.  If EVERYONE did SOMETHING, at the level that one can, there would be no horse having to endure that final ride to the slaughter house and the push into the kill box.

Karen Everhart MEd
Co-founder and Executive Director
Rainbow Meadows Rescue and Retirement, Inc.
Serving the equine companions who have so loyally served us...
www.rainbowmeadowsranch.com
620-725-3402

Owner/Operator Horse Calls - Equine Management Solutions
Centered Riding Instructor
Distance Horse Conditioning and Training
www.horsecalls.com
316-648-5082
-----