Subject: [RC] DVE extracurricular - Dream Weaver

 their RV and I will have a very dry and warm place to
sleep (no camping in the back of the trailer at this ride!).  However, after
looking at the map and discovering that the Death Valley ride is not
actually in the Death Valley park, they are wondering where they can go and
what they can see.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Hi Melinda: There are a lot of things to see and do in the area at various points along the route that the ride goes or within an easy drive. We do ride where we can see and are right next to the actual National Park. Getting permits to ride IN the park is a complicated matter and we are working on it - maybe next year. For now the ride has been routed so that it will be easier for moving rigs and also have better footing for the horses than in some previous years.

To find more info go to Google and type in Death Valley Tourism and you'll pull up a ton of stuff. Then use Google Maps to see where everything is. http://maps.google.com

One of the days we'll be camping in the ghost town of Ballarat. We will end up there after finishing on the second day and then do a loop ride on the third day of the ride that starts and finishes back in the same camp. Here are a couple of links about Ballarat and the surrounding area:

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/ca/ballart.html
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/CA-Ballarat.html
http://www.ghosttownexplorers.org/california/pleasant/pleasant.htm
http://www.ubehebe.com/pleasant_canyon.htm

An interesting day trip from Ballarat might be to go up to Panamint Springs and check out Darwin Falls and/or the town of Darwin (which has ties to Charlie Manson, it's a very unusual place).

http://www.totalescape.com/active/campstuff/NP/interest/barker.html
http://www.darwincalif.com/dar-1.html
http://www.totalescape.com/destin/california-towns.php?tid=570

You can also check out the Trona Pinnacles, which will be easy to see on day 2 of the ride.

http://www.totalescape.com/active/leisure/sites/trona.html

Basic info on the ride: http://sunriseranchrides.com/DeathValley.html

Karen @ xprides.com