Re: [RC] bit thickness question - Elizabeth Walker

That is really interesting, since at my last lesson, my dressage instructor suggested I get a Myler snaffle.  :)   Now, her reason was that the Mylers have the curved arms.  I use a JP Korsteel lozenge snaffle, and it also has curved arms.  However, mine is a standard thickness, (maybe 14mm? - I would have to check).

I've currently got a pretty thick Hartwell mouthpiece in a Pelham that I've been riding him in.  When it arrived, I thought it might be too thick, but he doesn't seem to mind it.  On the other hand - Caisson can be pretty stoic, so I'm not sure I would know.  I'm trying to pay attention to which bit he accepts the best when I put the bridle on.  So far - the snaffle is the winner there.  However, he goes quietly in the Hartwell, and doesn't have any trouble eating or drinking with it.  I would say it is pretty close to an 18mm.