Re: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: [RC] FW: [RC] [RC] horses at the track - Sisu West Ranch

"...You can't train every human - no matter
what type of brainwashing society tries to use there are always the
rebels that defy...."

There is a difference between a rebel and a sociopath. While there are occasional sociopathic humans and animals where nothing can be faulted in their nurture, and some who are just plain crazy, the vast majority (Personal feelings: > 95%) become dangerous because they were not properly disciplined during early years.

The existence of a very small number of adults who will not conform to the minimal demands of polite society even though they appear to have had a proper early education, is often used as an excuse for bad behavior in those who would have been fine with proper early training.

There is also a difference between "brainwashing" and proper discipline. Asking horses, people, and other animals to behave themselves is not "brainwashing". Horses, dogs, humans, etc. are by nature animals who live in social groups. Every social species must have instincts that allow the young to learn proper social behavior. If the species does not, internal fighting and killing will cause it to become extinct. One of the requirements for true domestication is that the species must be social. We have domesticated the dog, but not the Puma.

As an aside, one of the biggest problems that sick humans, who wish to see dogs fight to the death, have is that the social instincts of the species dictate that when you are beaten in the fight you roll over on your back and surrender. Since this is unacceptable in dog fighting circles, the "fighting" dogs are bred, and trained to be "insane" in the sense that they do not surrender when beaten.

That some of the social graces are "learned" is illustrated by a mare I boarded a number of years ago. She had been alone with her mother until weaning, and then without horse companions for a number of years. She interacted fine with people, but never understood how to get along with horses. Every feeding time, she would push to get the best pile of hay. Unfortunately, she would eventually try to get the herd leader's hay. Sketer was a rather benevolent dictator. First, he would give her ears, then raise a leg, finally he would turn around and lay both hind legs into her side or chest. She would then squeal, and go to the far corner of the corral to sulk. The next day it would happen all over again. She had passed the age where she could learn how to live in a herd.

I have no idea who or how John Henry was trained from 0 to 2 years old, shucks I even thought that I remembered that he was a harness horse. He may have been one of those extremely rare individuals who was so aggressive that no amount of proper early training would have changed his attitude, but somehow I doubt that. The most likely thing is that he was quite aggressive, and scared his early handlers into not applying the proper discipline.. Later his bad behavior was an ingrained habit.

By the way, please to not twist my quotation of John Lyons methods into advocacy of abusing any animal, or blindly applying physical discipline. I am fully aware that each training situation has to be dealt with individually and methods changed to fit the personality, and prior experience of the trainee.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875