Re: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: [RC] FW: [RC] [RC] horses at the track - Truman Prevatt

Like everything it depends. I would have not problem putting up with John Henry given that he was all business on the track and got it done. That would especially be true given the size of the purses today vs. those in the 80's when he ran. I suspect he was just down right territorial - which lead to his aggressive behavior. He would grab a chunk of flesh till the day he died if you got in his space and he didn't want you there. And again I suspect if you took three seconds to make old JH think you were going to kill him, he just might have taken the next three to actually kill you :-( . Not everything works on all horses.

Some aggressive behavior is actually trained into horses. Back some years ago there was fairy aggressive behavior trained into Arabs for the halter classes. The Jbird escaped the show ring at 3 because of a nasty divorce - however, he still to this day at 19 has some mental scars from the training. One thing they did was to make him attack front of the stall. They would also use cattle prods to get 'em up. Those methods have supposedly been banned - but who knows what goes on in the recesses of the training barn. In reality that type of behavior can be more difficult to break.

Truman

Sherri Lyngar wrote:

Must reiterate, biting at people is not good and is more prone to happen with studs or geldings that are cut late. I agree with D'Arcy, I wouldn't maintain a horse that was that aggressive if I couldn't break the habit. I have little kids and I won't chance them walking up to a stall only to get bitten for their trouble. I kind of like John Lyon's philosophy about a biting horse which goes something like, if a horse bites me I have three seconds to make that horse believe that I will kill it, with exception of their head. They would be reprimanded in a herd and need to know that I'm the LEAD horse around here.
Sherri

--

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.” Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil