[RC] Riding in the rain - Karen Standefer

Being from the NW, I’ve spent a lot of time riding in the rain (although not so much this year as years past).  What has worked year in and year out for me is  Irideon WindPro pants, Thorolo ski socks, Muck Boots hi boots (I take the foot bed out to give more room for the ski socks and then insert Toe Warmers), several layers of upper wear, starting with a silk undershirt and building from there depending on how cold it is, but always using synthetics (NO cotton).  Then, the top layer is a longer Goretex Parka from LL Bean that comes to my knees and has a two way zipper so you can zip it up from the bottom to sit on a saddle easier.   The hood fits over my helmet.    If it’s really cold out, I’ll put on full length silk underwear as well under my WindPros.

For Gloves I’ve always used REI’s stretch all purpose gloves that are wind resistant and water resistant.  But, this year I got a new glove from REI that I’m REALLY loving (see link below).  It stretches and is really light weight and doesn’t bind, but offers protection from wind and water.    They also don’t conduct cold like so many do that have grippy stuff on the palm and fingers.

Then, I top it all off with a thin headband to keep my ears warm.  I’ve never gotten wet or cold with this gear on.

Lightweight Parka:

http://tinyurl.com/2x9y2t

Gloves:

http://www.rei.com/product/743103