RE: [RC] New Endurance Horse Electrolyte Research - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

Lest we start throwing out the baby with the bathwater....

Yes, electrolyte levels that are both too high and too low can both cause
significant problems.

No, electrolytes are not invariably innocuous.  Neither is water, or hay, or
grain, or an average rider, if any or all are administered or managed
incorrectly.

Note that dosing the horses at both levels in this study involved only two
doses, in what amounted to a significant bolus of electrolytes---as opposed to
much smaller and more frequent doses before and during a strenuous ride.
Because I have low blood pressure, I personally don't feel good or do well
during any sort of exercise unless I eat A LOT of salt throughout the day---but
if I tried cramming a huge spoonful of salt down my throat just twice during
the day, I'd be feeling like hell, too.  Duh.

Also notice that the pool of horses in each treatment or control group is quite
small, an unavoidable consequence of limited research funds.  But that also
makes conclusions of performance results more difficult to assess, especially
since in neither trial were the riders trying to be especially competitive, nor
were the two exercise bouts particularly similar (ie, they were still during
endurance rides, not repeatable and standardized exercise trials on a
high-speed treadmill, for example).  When I've done field research in endurance
horses, it can take HUNDREDS of participating horses to even begin to overcome
the vast number of variables and before a statistically significant trend
emerges.  That's just the math of it.

Yup, the body can safely and efficiently filter out significant amounts of
excess electrolytes, and also efficiently increase plasma volumes from
interstitial spaces, etc to compensate.  If the horse is drinking large amounts
of water to dilute moderately elevated levels, that's a normal compensatory
mechanism, and one that *should* be taken advantage of to offset the fluid
losses during exercise.  Problems associated with excessive electrolyte dosing
is almost invariably associated with too-much-at-once, as opposed to using a
more moderate salt-shaker approach.  Again, the difference is small and
frequent doses, versus enormous boluses.

It's really easy to gravitate from extreme to the other in choosing an elyting
protocol and NO ONE ( including Heidi) advocates NO electrolytes during
endurance---Heidi's approach (and correct me if I'm wrong) is providing elytes
via vast amounts of forage, which is more than sufficient for a large number of
horses under certain circumstances.  The French team may insist they don't
elyte their horses, but assuming they fed their horses during the day, then
sure they did---they just may not have been doing so via an oral syringe, thus
were probably providing elytes via forage, possibly via concentrate rations, or
added to water, or offered free-choice.  There are LOTS of ways to skin that
cat.

Other vets advocate that there's no upper limit to syringed elytes, and I think
this study illustrates that that ain't necessarily a good thing,
either---something we pretty much already knew.  My opinion is that lots of
forage is a fundamental management tool for a number of metabolic reasons,
including electrolyte supplementation, PLUS I personally advocate a plethora of
tiny, frequent 'salt-shaker' doses at every opportunity to mediate elyte losses
during the day.  In the PNW during a 11-hour fifty, even that is likely
unnecessary.  During a 5 hour 50 in the SE in hot, humid conditions, I think
you'd potentially be in a lot of trouble if you didn't augment elytes one way
or another.  But rarely is the best method going to be administering a gigantic
dose only once or twice during the day.

FWIW, I'm going to be trying to summarize a lot of the newer electrolyte
research at one or both of my seminars at convention (and there's a lot of new
stuff out there).  Troy asked if I could submit an article or two for EN for
those that won't be there, and I'll try to get that done asap, probably as soon
as the current teaching quarter is over and I can catch my breath.

JMO.
Susan Garlinghouse, DVM