[RC] retraining horses that bite/kick/paw/head bump - Steven &#38 Rise Estergreen

So, there've been a lot of comments about who was at fault in this incident. I'm not much of a horse person yet, and wonder, other than removing the opportunity by keeping your horse away from people and other horses, how do you prevent (or lessen the risk of) this type of behavior from a horse? And, other than actually experiencing or observing an incident like the one discussed, how can you tell whether your horse is likely to behave that way under the close contact with numerous unfamiliar horses and people that are likely to occur at endurance rides.

What do you do? Yell? Get big and wave your arms? Hit the horse with a 2x4? Bite the horse yourself? I've heard all of these from people (not in this particular discussion) saying "I'd never let my horse get away with that", but I want to know what is really likely to work without leading to other social/trust problems with the horse.

Please be specific and discuss how often you have had this type of problems with a horse and how effective you have been in retraining it.

Now I'll go back to lurking.

Steven Estergreen

---- Msg sent via MCC Webmail - http://www.molalla.net/