Re: [RC] retraining horses that bite/kick/paw/head bump - Sisu West Ranch

There are a number of books, and videos by wonderful professional horse trainers that cover this type of situation.  My personal favorite for this type of issue is John Lyons.

If you look around you probably can find a "natural horsemanship" trainer in your area who will be happy, for his/her usual fee, to train both you and your horse.  The one we had in WI insisted on this type of training.

I have never had a horse that had to be trained out of this type of behavior.  The reason is that either I purchased horses who were properly socialized, and/or the very first time the behavior was tried, they were chastised in what I felt was an appropriate manner.  It was much easier for me to convince Miikka to be respectful of humans the first time he got too big for his britches at age 2 months than it would be to extinguish the behavior at age 6, if he had previously been allowed to get away with it.

I suspect that the same thing applies to people.  I firmly believe that it is easier to establish at 2 that you do not hit another person to get your way, than to explain at 18 that it is suddenly not proper to hit your mother or girl friend because you are mad.
Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875