[RC] Electrolytes in Endurance Horses - Karen Standefer

The 2007 AAEP proceedings were just released to the public.  I haven’t been through all of the papers yet, but I found this one that is interesting.  It may  have been published here before.  You’ll have to sign up for a membership, but it’s free:

Francesca Sampieri, DVM, MS; Harold C. Schott II, DVM, PhD;

Kenneth W. Hinchcliff, BVSc, PhD; Raymond J. Geor, BVSc, PhD; and

Eduard Jose-Cunilleras, DVM, PhD

Administering oral electrolyte supplements to endurance horses is a well-accepted, yet poorly validated,

practice. In horses supplemented with either a high-dose (HD) or low-dose (LD) of electrolytes

in a 80-km ride, we found no difference in body-mass loss or competition time, yet estimated water

intake and rider assessment of performance were improved with HD. However, hypernatremia and

hyperchloremia developed in some horses receiving HD, which suggests that electrolyte supplementation

may not be completely innocuous. Authors’ addresses: Via del Mandriato, 22 Pietrasanta,

5504 Italy (Sampieri), Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Melbourne, 250 Princes Highway,

Werribee, Victoria, Australia, 3030 (Hinchcliff); Large Animal Clinical Sciences, D202 Veterinary

Medical Center, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824 (Schott); Middleburg Agricultural

Research and Extension Center, Virginia Tech, Middleburg, VA 20117 (Geor); and Cliffe

Veterinary Group, Lewes, East Sussex, BN8 5QX, United Kingdom (Jose-Cunilleras); e-mail:

fsampierivet@xxxxxxxxxxxx © 2007 AAEP.

Full Paper:  http://www.ivis.org/proceedings/aaep/2007/sampieri.pdf

Checked by AVG Free Edition.