Re: [RC] Biting Horse at Ride - Truman Prevatt

Boy this is one of my sore points. I spent three years on the National Ski Patrol at A Basin in CO. We allowed "out of bounds skiing" when it was safe. We warned people where it was unsafe to ski and when it was unsafe.

It was listed on the board at the lodge and we put up ropes to keep people out. The reason it was unsafe because of avalanche. They went under anyway. At what point does a person take responsibility for their own actions? IMO when they are warned and they disregard the warning. Bottom line we would not go to try to find them and neither would any search and rescue it was deemed safe by the Forest Service (it was their land). If they got buried by an avalanche - it became a body rescue when it was safe. Of course we took the blame because we would not go and try to find them.

Sorry if one is warned one accepts the consequence for their actions. If a person is warned of avalanche danger and skis there any way and dies, well duh. If a person is warned a horse bits and moves in close enough to get bit - well duh! If a person is warned that a horse kicks and walks right behind it and lets their horse bit it - well duh. At some point we have to take responsibility for our own actions and quit trying to blame others.

The rider was warned, chose to move close enough to the horse to get bit (by her own admission). At that point it was on her.

Truman

Kristen A Fisher wrote:
I think it is one thing to say "this animal bites". Most people would think,
OK, I should not approach, touch, pet or initiate contact with the animal.
Then if that person sticks its hand in the dog/bird/horse's face - the
victim is the dumb one.

The problem is, at least the way it was described, the animal initiated
aggressive contact toward the person. Saying "this horse bites" is not the
same thing as saying "this animal might lunge and attack you so clear the
area."

Sure it might have been able to have been prevented - but who bears more of
the burden for the incident? The person who was supposed to be managing the
horse IMO.

Kristen