[RC] re: biting horse at ride - april

I have a mare who used to bite. I did not start or encourage her biting. I have spent hours and hours, years even, teaching her not to. She has not bitten for over 3 years. and yet, I warn people she bites. I don't really expect her to. But she might. Horses that have previous abuse issues often do things we don't expect.
"john lyons" and I have spent lots of hours working on that mare. She is a DM and I do mean DM. The first several times I disciplined her for biting, she tried to kill me. Truly. She spun her butt to me and tried to double barrel me in the head. I owned her before she was abused and she was such a doll. I was not going to give up on her and put her down when I new MY MARE was in there somewhere.  And she was.
Would I have disciplined her if it had been us at the ride? Probably not. It has been over 3 years since she has shown any inclination to bite and if she were to snap into her previous biting brain set, I would be more worried about her snapping all the way and being the spinning, kicking, biting, insanity that she was when I got her back. I think I would err on the side of caution for the other people and horses there and not discipline her. But it would be a long time before I took her anywhere again.
As to the woman not caring about the damage her horse inflicted, there have been several discussions about liability. Some people say that putting a red ribbon on your horse invites a lawsuit because it proves that you knew the horse was dangerous. The woman whose horse bit is being flamed because she knew her horse would bite and the proof is that she warned people.I have been to insurance seminars where I was told, "NEVER admit to any liability. Don't say anything that could possibly construed as admitting liability." Some people are afraid enough of being sued to follow those instructions.
I am not the person whose horse bit, but I could be. My previously abused mare could snap someday and bite. I would have fallen all over myself to apologize and put my mare away and helped crew for you and your friend. But I can see where someone could be so upset and worried about being sued that they would act the way that woman did.

april
byhalia