Re: [RC] Biting Horse at Ride - Truman Prevatt

Susan,

I am sorry you got bit - getting bit by a horse hurts. Let me ask a question, however. If this were a 80 pound pit bull dog and the owner told you he bit - would you have taken your horse and yourself near enough that he could lunge and get you? Probably not, they why was it okay to do it with the horse.

It was extremely rude of the owner to have not apologized for the incident or to reprimand her horse. However, the way I read what you say is it they were there first and she warned you but you moved into the space anyway.

This incident could I think have been prevented.

Truman

Susan Shook wrote:
During the vet check I took my horse to eat with 3 others, one was the horse that he came to the ride with. As I approached, one rider told me to be careful because her horse (mare) bites. Normally I take this type of warning to mean that the horse would bite other horses, not people so I put myself in between my gelding and her mare. We were not crowded. Next thing I knew her mare lunged and viciously bit me in my side. I jumped into my horse to get away from the attack which caused my horse to jump into my friend, which resulted in a back injury for her. The bite resulted in extensive bruising and swelling and my friend ended up driving home early from the ride due to her back pain. The rider showed absolutely no concern for either of us (never asked if either of us was o.k.), did absolutely nothing to reprimand her horse and finally moved her horse away from the group.

--

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.” Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil