[RC] My first horse - Don and Pam Bowen

My first horse was a Boxer, yes a dog!  We were barely 4-5 years old at the time, and we “bitted” the poor dog up, with it’s own collar and leash!  Collar in its mouth, leash was the reins, I totally cringe when I think about what we put that poor dog thru.  My cousin and I had a grand time back then.  We rode the aunt’s heifer too, when aunt wasn’t looking, but the damn thing would barely move, heifer could have killed us if she would have been smarter and not so lazy.  We were watching Fury and Bonanza at the time.

Finally our grandmother took pity and always kept burros and ponies at her house.  But they were all nasty tempered and not much fun, even tho we persisted.  Those things would rake us against the fence, lay down on top of us, then kick and bite us, really mean beasts they were!  Finally my cousin got a “real” pony, and we would take off riding double, bareback and no helmets of course.  Next was my friend’s runaway, then another guy’s runaway, then I got my “own” horse at the age of 15, also a runaway.  Good thing I had experience bailing by then J.  But Smo Joe was just a misunderstood horse, nobody had ever told him it wasn’t ok to runaway.  I finally got him to not do this and parents sold him, they never really understood back then, I think NOW they do J.

And I went horseless for many years, until I met Don and he bought me Nikki.  Now we have 9 horses and I get to really play.  And work J!!

Pam Bowen