Re: [RC] first horse stories - desertrydr1

I think I identify with something in almost everyone's story.  We must have all grown up in the 50's and 60's.

My first horse was a flashy black and white pinto with long curly eyelashes.  He had a red saddle and black bridle.  I was one, and a friend of my dad's dad had built this little rocking horse out of wood and painted it just so.  That was almost 56 years ago, and it's still in the family, passed from generation to generation, from brother to sister, to cousin to uncle, whoever had little babies at the time.  It's with one of my sister's grandkids now, I think.  When it starts to look a little beat up, whoever has it, paints it to the original design.  Looks just about like new, except, of course, it's not made of plastic.

My second horse was one of those bouncy horses that Dr. Q wrote about.  I galloped for miles (or at least hours) on that one.  Kind of a golden dun.  I was a trick rider, could even gallop forever standing in the saddle instead of sitting, or sometimes two-pointing.  I also sometimes rode the cows at my uncle's dairy farm back in Michigan when I was between about 5 and 12, until there was a real horse to ride.

My first flesh-and-blood horse actually belonged to my cousin, but whenever I came to visit, she let me ride her whenever I wanted, unless it was prep for or actual fair week.  Then she was too busy getting ready for fair to let me ride too much.  Queeny was an ornery mare, supposedly had come from somewhere outwest, where she was used as a cow horse.  She managed to become detached from all of the cousins except her owner.  I become detached a number of times, but was too stubborn/stupid to quit.

The first two horses I actually owned don't make much of a dent in my memory, because I only owned them for a short time.  My first horse as a real adult is the love of my life, I still own her, I bought her just before she turned 6, and next spring she'll be 23.

jeri