Re: [RC] [Consider This] Karen Chaton: Musings about endurance riding awards and lifet... - Carla Richardson

So many things I find true in Karen's comments!  To me, what struck me most is, that we all have different goals and different ways of approaching endurance.  I ride slow, mainly because this is my horse's first year, and mine as well, in doing 50's anyway.  And I'm old and tired and sore <G>.  My horse and I just passed the 750 mile mark, on Saturday in Scottsdale, Arizona.  Last week I received my 500 mile chevron, and yes, I'm proud of it, and I'll be proud when I get the 750 mile chevron.  I was actually hoping to pass 1,000 this year, but didn't get that far.  And yes, there's a huge learning curve in your first year, your first 1000 miles.

Endurance is an adventure, it isn't just the ride, it's the long drives to the rides, too.  And meeting people from all over the country.  I've said this many times, but I'm so grateful to be able to have my horse and a working truck and trailer to get me to the rides (that's a whole 'nuther story!), and I'm so thankful to all the volunteers, ride managers, and veterinarians who somehow get a ride together and make it happen for all of us crazy riders and horses.

And now, it's a whole new ride year!
Have a Happy New Ride Year!

Carla Richardson
Colorado