Re: [RC] nosebands for S-hackamores - Lysane Cree

Thanks so much for the link. Someone else mentioned this and I was wondering what they looked like. I think this might be good for me - I can keep a bit more "bite" of the rope but without having the rope right on her face.

I did try the s-hack yesterday in the arena and she went very well in it. She seems to neck rein even better in it and the only difference was that she did get a bit confused initially between backing and turning when I was using direct rein, so I found I had to open my rein a little more and then she got it. I was able to try a biothane noseband and I can see that while it is fine in the arena when she gets stronger she would probably pull alot. So I think I'd rather put something that has a little more bite and be able to ride in a loose rein than to have to be pulling on her face and fighting her.

I also something on the net called a beetle hackamore - it has curved back shanks (about the same length as an S) but the ad said it had little joints near the noseband that permitted more lateral work and direct rein (it sounds like they mean that the shanks can be moved individually if need be). Has you ever tried this style?

From: April <endurancerider@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Lysane Cree <lysanec@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, November 22, 2008 7:34:24 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] nosebands for S-hackamores

I use this on my endurance horse's Little S hack rope noseband. Works great. Horse goes well in it and no rubs on his pretty nose.

Here it is on him:

I also have one on his nylon shipping halter.

I just throw them in the wash when they need it. Been using the same one for over 3 years on his hack.

April
Nashville, TN