RE: [RC] s-hack - Angie Mikkelson

The bitless bridle drove my mare crazy. She shook her head constantly in it.  I think it was just too much pressure on her head, she tends to be a little clausterphobic and overly sensitive ;)
From: jeanmiller@xxxxxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] s-hack
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 13:06:05 -0500

Carrie, try it at home.  And try to borrow one.  Your success will depend on your horse.  I tried the bitless bridle with my guys.  I really like the idea of one.  They were fine at home until we got to their favorite running places.  I had to have arms of steel to get them back in control.  At a ride, my gelding could be ridden with one right away.  My mare had to do at least one day and then maybe the next day I could use the bitless bridle.   Now the Fat Pony is another story.  I started out in a bitless bridle.  The more in shape she got, the more she yanked my arms.  I finally went to a S-hackamore.  It worked great for awhile.  Then I had to have arms of steel.  Her first ride the first 10 miles were hell.  I could control her but she kept ducking her head and yanking me around.  And we were going Fat Pony speed.  I went to a level-1 level 2 myler bit.  Made all the difference in the world.  No more yanking, well sometimes but it doesn't last long, and a well behaved Fat Pony.  Bitless bridle or S-hackamore works great with some horses and you will have to determine if yours is one of them.  Jeanie

Get more done, have more fun, and stay more connected with Windows Mobile®. See how.