[RC] s-hack - Jean Miller

Carrie, try it at home.  And try to borrow one.  Your success will depend on your horse.  I tried the bitless bridle with my guys.  I really like the idea of one.  They were fine at home until we got to their favorite running places.  I had to have arms of steel to get them back in control.  At a ride, my gelding could be ridden with one right away.  My mare had to do at least one day and then maybe the next day I could use the bitless bridle.   Now the Fat Pony is another story.  I started out in a bitless bridle.  The more in shape she got, the more she yanked my arms.  I finally went to a S-hackamore.  It worked great for awhile.  Then I had to have arms of steel.  Her first ride the first 10 miles were hell.  I could control her but she kept ducking her head and yanking me around.  And we were going Fat Pony speed.  I went to a level-1 level 2 myler bit.  Made all the difference in the world.  No more yanking, well sometimes but it doesn't last long, and a well behaved Fat Pony.  Bitless bridle or S-hackamore works great with some horses and you will have to determine if yours is one of them.  Jeanie