[RC] Stall Rested Endurance Horse -- using TTEAM - Naomi Preston

Some of the TTEAM techniques might be really useful for calming your mare.  I'm not sure where you live, but it might be worth your while to see if there's a Practitioner in your area that could help help you.  There are a few things I'd start with.  One would be stroking the mare with a "wand"; we use a dressage whip, but anything similar can work.  Get her used to this in the stall -- long strokes across all part of her body -- legs, back, chest, etc.  Your mare might be reactive to the wand at first, but in a short while this stroking can be extremely calming to a horse.  It also gives a horse something to "focus" on when they're nervous.  Once she's used to it in the stall, I would first just open the stall door, as if you were going to take her out, but just stay in the stall with the door open and stroke her.  If she can handle that, I would take a step or two outside the stall, and begin stroking again.  You'll have one hand on the lead rope -- probably close to the halter, and one hand stroking the mare.  It's really important for you to keep calm and low key while doing this -- remembering to breathe, and praising the mare for good behavior in a low, calm tone of voice.  If the mare is responding well to this, proceed with just a few steps and repeat the stroking.  If it's not working, take her back in the stall and start again.  Think of "baby steps" for your progress.  In the TTEAM training, we have some particular methods of leading horses which involves holding the "wand" in front of them so they can focus on it.  This type of leading exercise would be ideal for your mare, and a practitioner could help you with it, or you might try one of the TTEAM videos or DVD's.  If you email me privately, I would be happy to give you more information to get you started.  Another technique I'd recommend with your mare is a "body wrap," which is an ace bandage or stretchy leg wrap we use to wrap around the horse's body which can be EXTREMELY calming for a horse.  Again, you would start in the stall, where the mare is relaxed, to introduce the wrap.  The body wrap is a pretty amazing tool -- it is also effective on nervous dogs.  For instance, a dog that reacts severely to lightning and thunder storms can be really helped by just putting this wrap on them.

You can email me at mustanglady at email dot toast dot net.

Naomi Preston