[RC] Endurance: Qatar style part three - Maggie Mieske

5.      No camping overnight.  Not that one couldn’t camp, but most people (or at least those I met) go home after the ride.  Heck, when we start going, I’m taking a tent and setting up camp!  J

6.       Nearly everyone (maybe 80%?) rides with leg wraps or support boots on their horses (mostly leg wraps though).   I noticed that when wet, they weigh a ton.  I asked Avril #1 why she does this and she honestly said, because everyone else does.  After the second vet check, she replaced the wet wraps with lightweight neoprene Podium support boots and I think her horse probably was the better for it.  Her hind legs were starting to tire and she had started overreaching.  I hoped that taking the heavier leg wraps off might solve that problem.  I hope to hear from them today for a report.

7.       All of the rides are held at Qatar Endurance Village, near Sealine Resort and a huge petroleum plant.  I was hopeful before we got there that some of the trail would go along the Gulf, but that was not the case.  Darn!  It’s only about 50 km from where we live, but we’re having trouble adjusting to the idea of all the rides in the same place forever.

8.       All rides are FEI.  I have some serious research to do if I think I want to try FEI in the Middle East.

Maggie Mieske
Lecturer
English Department/Foundation Program
Qatar University
P.O. Box 2713
Doha, Qatar

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”