[RC] Endurance: Qatar style part four - Maggie Mieske

9.       The vast majority of the horses are owned, trained and ridden by different people.  I noticed many are owned by members of the Royal Family and, of course, by Al Shaqab Endurance Team which is essentially the Emir, Sheikh Hamad al Khalifa Al Thani.  There are many other “teams” as in many will come from various stables and call themselves teams, although I don’t think there are “team” awards of any kind.  However, we did not stay until the finish because I have to work this afternoon!  I could be wrong about that.  The riders are basically nothing more than paid jockeys.  I was surprised at the number of children/juniors riding the 80 km on horses owned by the Al Shaqab Team.  One of the team members told me (when I asked if he rode the same horse consistently or many) that Al Shaqab owns over 80 endurance horses, although he said that he has one horse that he trains/rides for the jumping team.  Basically, my Irish friends are the only ones who own, train and ride their own horses, although Avril #1 can’t ride both of her horses and so has a jockey ride the other.  Avril #2 is currently laid up from back surgery, so she has offered for me to take a ride on her horse which I have not even met yet.  They stable their horses near Al Shahania (outside of Doha) where horses are trained and ridden by the owners and trainer, a Dutch woman and her daughter, I believe.

10.       The top 15 earn “big money.”  I did not find out how much “big money” is, but I am sure it is not chicken feed.  I have yet to learn if there is any prestige or value placed on Best Condition which is always MY goal.

Maggie Mieske
Lecturer
English Department/Foundation Program
Qatar University
P.O. Box 2713
Doha, Qatar

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”