RE: [RC] Poor Showing at WEC---cross posted - Christina McCarthy

A quote from Dr. Todd Holbrook DVM, assistant US team vet.. and wise sage!
Truer words were never spoken.
The team was hit by Lightening! Twice.. once figuratively and the second actually.
First of all, Cheryl Dell, became deathly ill on the first loop of the ride. She came into the first vet check very ill with stomach issues..
She ate and drank and thought she was better, so continued on. On the second vetcheck she was so ill she was pale white, couldn't eat or drink anything and was only able to lie down. I was asked to get the Medics and they came and wanted to give her an IV. Long story short, she had an IV, but didn't improve so was taken to the MASH unit at the ride. Run by the Red Crescent, like our Red Cross. (but with a military flavor).
She was sent from the Mash unit to a local hospital after staying in the Mash Unit overnight. She spent 2 days in the Hospital.. Seriously ill.
I'm not sure what the diagnosis was, but I was sure worried about her.

The lightening strike did happen.

Lightening struck a crane that was holding TV antennas and the bolt ran into the in and out gate of the venue. Many people were standing at the gate waiting for the horses. It had rained terribly and the water was standing up past their ankles. Many people were shocked by the lightening. None seriously. Dr. Holbrook had tingling in his feet for hours and Skip Lightfoot had lightening go up his arm and into his teeth where he had fillings. Others were shocked in different ways. We were very lucky no one was seriously hurt. I have never been near a lightening strike but I can tell you it hit and crashed at the same time.. I've NEVER seen anything like it and I never want to again. I was under the canopy set up for the horses so I just saw this huge white light and felt the ground shake and heard a horrible sharp crack.

About the same time, Jan Worthington and Meg Sleeper were riding together and lightening struck very near them. Their horses jumped into the air and Jan's horse fell into Meg's horse and fell down on top of Jan.
Meg also fell with her horse.
Both riders managed to hold on to the reins. Jan lost her glasses and had a huge scratch on her face and significant bruising and soreness from he horse rolling on her and stepping on her. Jan is a tough woman.. We cleaned her up, put ice on her ankle, someone wrapped it with vet wrap and she finished the ride.
Meg was pulled at the 5th Vet check for lameness and Jan was pulled at the final vet check at the finish, also for lameness. Meg was disappointed and Jan was just beside herself with sadness at finishing the ride and not completing.

It should be noted that earlier in the week before the ride, Cheryl's husband, Stewart, had been hospitalized with this same illness and last night Ann Crandle was struck with it suddenly, she was so ill she couldn't walk. We hear today that Dr. Jerry Gilespie has this illness as does Dave Caden's wife, Terry. I heard that Ann and Jerry were so ill they had to get on the plane in wheelchairs.

So, those of you who are Monday Morning Quarterbacking the results of the ride, need to be aware of ALL of the facts before you are critical of the Team's efforts.
It was commendable for Jan to go on. Lesser riders would have stayed at the check, but she went on.

We believe that the fall caused the lameness issues.. We can't prove it, but it most certainly makes sense, since both horses had been doing so well. We had a very well prepared team.. it was one of those strange unforseen events that knocked us out.
Ps, those of us who aren't sick are praying we don't come down with this sudden -- awful illness. I have to fly about 30 hrs tomorrow.. I'd hate to do most of it in one of those little airplane bathrooms! More later..

Best Regards,
Christina D McCarthy

American Riding Instructors Association
ARICP Certified, Level II Distance & Pleasure Riding

"Calme, en avant, droit et léger"
"Calm, forward, right and light"
" In place of playing with fear to obtain submission it's better to capture the horse's confidence to obtain his consent"
 ~General L'Hotte, head of the Cadre Noir from 1864-1870

If your horse says no, you either asked the wrong question, or asked the question wrong.  ~Pat Parelli