Re: [RC] Training Issue - Kathy Mayeda

Maybe other tools will work - like doing tight circles, leg yielding, lateral work to keep get his mind being focused back on you.  I like the idea of doing small doses of separation, and increasing in length while you're out riding.

I tend not to hop off unless absolutely necessary because if the horse is just being dominant, it is reinforcing that behaviour.  However, it's absolutely necessary if it intimidates you because a freaked out person doesn't do anyone any good.  When I was riding with a friend and Drako started to spaz she said that she would have gotten off of him at that moment.  Well, he was able to get me off of him in the past, and I have gotten to know his idiosynchrosies a lot better.  I'm not scared.  He's not doing anything dangerous.  I stay on.  He just learns to deal with it.  Story over.

Rearing - I don't know.  Never had a rearing horse.  Bucking horse yes!

K.