Re: [RC] Tank heater questions - Sisu West Ranch

1. The cast aluminum kind last longer than the bare kind.
2. If applicable, the drain plug kind are great.
3. If plastic tank, element can not touch the tank.
4. Horses like to play with the floating ones.  You will find the heater hanging outside the tank.
5. Some horses like to play with the cord on the sinking ones.  I have used, successfully, two methods to stop this.  My original method was to run the cord through a wood or large plastic conduit carefully attached to the building or fence.  Lately I have been more lazy and simply used tape to attached the cord, which is covered with a spiral of spring wire, to a big "c" clamp which is attached to the tank side.
6. It is worthwhile to keep extension cords short.  I spent the time to wire in rigid conduit from the barn.
7. As you said a GFCI is vital

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road