[RC] Bored Horses - irmurphy

I have considerable experience with bored horses in while they are recovering from injuries or in general just smart babies that need something to 'figure out'.

I've used recycled feed bags, tires, dog chew toys but my favorite by far are the plastic milk jugs.  I've found anything with food or scents invariably attracts ants.  Those little buggers will even climb down binder twine to get to the carot flavored chew toy I once purchased and once they get in a stall it's difficult to get them out.  Fortunately, that's a seasonal issue in Arizona.  Also, if there's no food (ie molasses) they can't get anything on themselves which makes grooming easier.

Anyways, when I look for a toy (or puzzle) I always make sure to remember that they are going to destroy it.  I've stopped buying the expensive toys for horses as it's just money down the drain. Instead I now collect the plastic milk jugs, place a few wood chips for some noise and place them in the stalls.  Once they've crushed them I then place them in the recycling bin and tie up a new one.  Its worked well for my herd and even does well if I tie one up on a separating fence and the horse play together.

Irene Murphy
M20453, SW