Fwd: [RC] multi-use trails - Karen Sullivan

On 10/23/08, D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson <cest.mon.virage@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I do a considerable amount of riding at
Sly Park in Placerville, CA.   Those trails are dirt bike and horse back
trails.  Some of them are separate from each other.  The horse trails are
wider with less ruts.

D'Arcy,
Very interesting as one of the unsafest multi-use singletrack trails I
have been on was at Sly Park!!  It was also one of the few places I
have been dumped.  I was there with a friend, who did not mention it
was a trail shared with bikes, and I saw no signs entering the trail.. The
trail was both  very narrow, and very overgrown..so I rode down it having no
idea there might be bikes coming at us....although I don't ride down trails
in fear of what I might come across, and generally my horse is pretty
accepting of hikers and bikes, this was NOT a resaonable trail to have a
FASTER user on!!!  We came around a corner to a guy on a bike with a dog at
his side...and my horse did an exit right, hurling me off to the side.  In
this case, the biker was not at fault, just bad timing.  However, not 10
minutes later a biker came screaming down a hill toward me...and I did have
time to request he slow down (screaching of brakes and skidding, which
damages the trail).and my horse did keep her cool....anyway, THAT incident
was a very clear indication that this trail was NOT approppriate for bikes
and horses!!  The area i rode in was very treed, with a lot of bushes and bad
visibility....again, not safe, and if not me on the horse, it could be the
young mother iwth a baby on her back who gets run into.....clearly a trail
that needs to have a SPEED LIMIT, or not allow bikes!, or REALLY clear bushes
back to at least 50 feet visibility!! Other parts of the park seemed to have
wider dirt roads, which WOULD have been more appropriate for mixed use.

Will I ride those trails again?  Probably not...just not safe and
certainly not enjoyable to always be worrying about a bike coming
around the corner too fast....

Then again, if you ride the trails regularly, you probaby know which
days are less busy and safer to ride.

We have a State Demonstration Forest that has seen increased mountain
bike use.  The Forest manager has stated all trails must meet safe
multi-use criteria, and the bike advocates insist they meet IMBA
criteria..which is just absurd, as many trails  have 0 visibility, are
very narrow with no place to move off the trail.  I have been going up
periodically and whapping back the branches and bushes, which has
helped some.  There are also no speed limits on bikes, which is
extremely unsafe.....the time I almost got hit I was jogging!!!
Tight, narrow trails, lack of visibility and the speed the bikes go
(they have "downhill" unofficial races)  make it a pretty risky place
to ride, and a lot of horseback riders just don't go there on weekends
anymore...

It has become a situation where one user group is basically running
off another....and unless the horseback community stands up, fights
for safe trails and trail condition, and PITCHES in with helping to
maintain those trails and insist on safe multi-use trail rules, we
WILL lose access....

May not be a popular opinion, but certainly backed up with my riding
experiences, accident reports, trail user conflict reports and some
basic common sense...
Karen

Karen