[RC] Multi-use trails - Sheila_Larsen

Ok as a government regulator (I am ducking now) these are my thoughts on
the photos shown and my opinion on this has been shared in the past on
ridecamp, but at the risk of being repetitive I will say it again.  We ALL
need to take care of our trails.  These photos need to be taken to BLM not
necessarily to have them remove the motorcycles from the trail but to make
BLM aware of the damage caused and perhaps (read that perhaps) hold the
race organizers responsible for fixing  the damage.  In addition, perhaps
BLM can fix the trail prior to the rains (yes I know it is the desert but
if they can fix it prior to any rains it would be better).  Merri is
correct that if this is a trail used by motorcyles they will then move to
the side.  As a biologist I know as the trail widens, animal burrows will
be crushed, vegetation dies, and depending on the sand/soil type the crust
holding the sand in place is broken and it changes the ecology of the area.

With that said as riders we need to be equally considerate and not make
social trails and/or cut trail.  At Cronin Ranch out of Cool there is a
trail that switches back on itself and riders have decieded that they need
to not take the switchback but cut down the trail about 75 feet from the
turn.  It struck me as  odd because wouldn't you think we would want to be
on our horses longer LOL not a shorter amout of time.  Are we really in
that much of a rush to get  back to the trailer.

People (of whatever recreation ilk)abusing trails are a nightmare for land
managers as it take money out of their budget to fix it when that money may
be better spent repairing trails, putting in hitching posts, improving
staging areas, etc.  And it sure doesn't make us popular with other users.
I don't want to hear that the bicycles do it and that horses are "natural
like deer" so they don't cause damage, as riders we are equally responsible
as the motorcycle rider to not cause damage.

Endurance rides need to remove ribbons, pie plates and chalk marks after
the ride so it doesn't seem that we were there at all.  Hey if no one can
tell we were ever there how can they complain....   :  )     Yes we have a
right to use trails and we need to maintain and fight for that right but we
all need to be responsible for our actions.

I'll go away now....

And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and
created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any
sword.  Oh, horse.  ~Bedouin Legend