Re: [RC] Hard Headed Horses / Trailer Loading - Sharon Levasseur

I've had my horse 6 years and have owned 4 trailers in that time, all completely different in style. Every time I buy a different trailer I have to re-train my horse to load. However, because of the method I used the FIRST time, each time it takes less and less time.

Note... this is NOT MY method, it's a combination of Parelli, Anderson, and a few others.

Also note... DO NOT GET ANGRY. Ever. Do not take it personally. It will not help your cause, it will hurt it. Non-horsey hubby once loaded my horse in 20 minutes after I spent 3.5 hours trying/failing/sobbing.

Here it is:

Trailer loading issues are actually LEADING ISSUES. So, practice leading, sending, and loading EVERYWHERE... everywhere except a trailer, that is. Around trees, over bridges, through alleyways created with fencing, barrels, or pallets on their sides.

Some of that time, lead/send him one step at a time... stop him after every other step forward and back him up one step.

Make sure you incorporate some times when the horse must walk over a wooden surface such as a pallet covered with plywood (or, in a pinch, a tarp) so he's comfortable with the sound his feet make on a non-ground surface.

Start easy, then when he's ready, progress to more constricting scenarios like being sent up onto a pallet/plywood that is sitting between a row of barrels.

While you're at it, practice backing the horse out of his stall, off the edge of the pallet/plywood, etc so that he will be as comfortable as possible when it comes time to back off the trailer.

DO NOT introduce the trailer until you've got the horse leading, sending, and loading through/over all your other obstacles without hesitation.

When you introduce the trailer, don't ask him to go in. Use it as just another obstacle to play around.

Stand behind it and send him around one side and then the other. Have him stick his head in the side doors and eat off the floor. Stand a bit behind the ramp and ask him to walk around you in a circle, walking over the ramp at that end of the circle.

When you finally walk him towards the trailer (either leading or sending, whatever you prefer), just go forward one step and then back one step... make backing up YOUR idea. Then forward two steps, back one step. Forward two steps again, back one step again.

Then BEFORE HE STARTS TO RESIST, take a break and lunge him around the trailer again, or go back to barrels. (Approach and retreat.)

Once he starts putting his feet in, this is where the one-step method gets really important. One foot in? Great, thank you, you can back up now. Now let's try for two feet in. THANK you, that was wonderful, you can back up now. Three feet in, thank you... back up... four feet in, thank you... please back up.

This is also a great prevention/remedy for horses who rush out backwards... teaches them how to do it slowly and easily, without fear of the unknown.

-Sharon L. in Maine

PS... Zephyr still tests me from time to time, and usually all I have to do is smack him on the hip with my lead rope... he swings his butt away quite smartly (oh yeah, mom can make me move my feet however she wants to!) and then loads right up. The one exception was during a hailstorm at the Vermont 100... that was the ONE TIME EVER that he allowed someone to lead him onto a slant load trailer. Thanks neighbor!!