Re: [RC] Hard Headed Horses / Outpull You - Michelle Aquilino

Ok, so I definitely didn't need more convincing that any topic will start people butting heads on ridecamp, lol.  I am sure training is just like electrolyting, which is just like riding, which is just like everything else in the world, and everyone thinks the way they do it is the only way to do it, lol.  I hope that we can all relax ;-)  hehe.  But I mainly wanted to respond about the comment about how horses don't like to reload if you don't know how to drive livestock properly.  I completely agree, and why I have been concerned at times when other people have been hauling her for me (now anyone who has helped me out with a ride, don't get offended, I'm probably not talking about you, lol).  And while I am new to hauling, I think this is one reason why I don't think that my driving is the problem.  I tend to drive really slowly, carefully, slow down gradually, turn gradually, etc.  But even when you are driving as carefully as possible, I'm sure that a wine glass would not remain untipped from a drive around the block, and no matter what you do, I'm sure that a trailer trip isn't the most pleasant thing for a horse.  So as careful as I am in driving, I am sure it will take time for her to get better at being ok about reloading.  It's to note though, that she is not a bad hauler, she's very quiet, and she gets off the trailer very calmly, so it's not like she's in a state of panic, and needs off the trailer as soon as the door is open and she is able.  She actually even usually waits for me to tug on her tail and let her know it's time to get off.

--
"Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die"