FW: [RC] A horse worth having (was: hard headed horses) - Mike Sherrell

If you think that horses are controlled by love and not force, you've never
watched a herd of mares.

The quote you pull is followed by way of proof, the line, "anyone who has
handled horses from the ground has lost control over a horse because it was
pulling at a bad angle and imposed control on a resistant horse because they
were at a good angle." This is the fulcrum where the horse owner "makes it
realize that ultimately it will lose a battle of strength," and it is a
moment that comes to all who halter break yearlings. Can you honestly tell
us that you have never lost control of a haltered horse because it was
pulling at a bad angle and been able to impose control on a resistant horse
by pulling its head around because you were at a good angle?

It is possible and desireable to ride and handle a horse for twenty years
without ever engaging in a test of strength. But that will only be possible
if at some previous point the horse has come to realize that it would
ultimately lose a battle of strength.

Can you recover dominance over a horse that has won a test of strength? Of
course. Many's the ridden horse that has previously kicked, bucked off or
run away with its human.

Please don't cast me as a macho horse-beater. I do not ride with a bit,
spurs, crop or romal. My horses trust me enough that I can put on and off
flymasks and pick up their feet while they are at liberty in their large
turnouts. I have spent many hours and pints of Cowboy Magic on tangled manes
and burr-ridden tails.

Regards,

Mike Sherrell
Grizzly Analytical (USA)