RE: [RC] A horse worth having (was: hard headed horses) - Terry Banister

AMEN! Thank you D'Arcy

Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 08:58:42 -0700
From: cest.mon.virage@xxxxxxxxx
To: kstandefer@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] A horse worth having (was: hard headed horses)
CC: katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have to agree, the thinking process that you will win any battle of will over the animal kingdom - is not a safe and wise frame of mind.  Far too many testimonies to the contrary!   One of the very fine lines between training and battling is to insure one preserves and protects the 'spirit.'  Far too many horses that bend to the 'battle' have lost their spirit!  Then what do you have?  No, I'll do all that I can to preserve and protect the mainframe of any animal - their spirit.  After all isn't that what attracts us in the first place.  In Mike's defense, having read many of his trail stories, I don't think he is trying to come off as a macho, overpowering, type of male.

Maybe the gender argument lays in the fact that women might be in awe of the spirit that moves an animal.  The wings of spirit that move with the wind.  Give me those wings under my saddle any time! Whereas, some men, want to conquer and over power what may seem to them as a contrite animal.   Where by they feel they must conquer and control the animal.

I grew up with a lot of 'cowboys' - no seriously cowboys!  Every summer through my young adult life - we were off to the cattle ranches.  My Father's way of letting us know that 'city' life had it's place but would never replace the country life.  There were two classes of men.  First, the ones that would have a beer after the farm chores were done.  They were happy men full of laughter.  Pleased with their days work and accomplishments!  Having very happy, loving and caring homes.  Their horses were well cared for, high spirited, and always looking forward to a days work either on the ranch or out in the range with the cattle.  These were the days when some of them still pulled wagons full of fencing materials for repairs or new fences.  You could pretty much count on the fact that you would see the same horses, unless an old one died, the next summer.

Second, the ones that would have 'many' beers and proceed to annihilate their home environments until they felt they had exacted enough control over everything and everyone.  Their homes were not happy homes to be in.  Their horses were changed over annually.  The horses stood with very sad eyes while at work.  One learned never to expect to develop a relationship with the horses or the owners!

There is also arguement that many women trainers may be of the same elk.  However, my experience has mostly been with male trainers.   Most women trainers, if good, truly kind and compassionate will last, if not, have short lived careers.

D'Arcy

When your life is on the go—take your life with you. Try Windows Mobile® today